SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THIS COMIC
- Lately I'm really not interested in messing around with different drawing styles so much (probably because switching from a croquille pen to a Micron fine-tip has opened up my hand immensely), so the first thing I think about after coming up with the basic plot of a comic is the color scheme. Anybody who hangs out with me on really life has heard me go "it's gonna be all x color" when I describe whatever I'm working on. This time around it was yellow and green, only because for some reason it seemed pretty important that the guy be wearing an Oakland A's hat. Bay Area represent. Sounds silly, but the first concrete indicator of the colors that are going to be in a piece is usually what I try to get the rest of the thing to rhyme with.
- This lettering style is gonna stick around till further notice. Much as I've always admired letterers (back before I taught myself to draw my aspiration was to break into comics that way), I kinda always hated doing the thing myself until I started using a brush for it.
- I'd assume everyone already knows, but just in case, the record player is playing Young Jeezy's "Standing Ovation". Maybe a little obvious as a strophe to this kind of content, but it's fun to try and mess around with suggesting sound palettes for a comic to work against. I also may as well admit that I've spent my entire "career" up to this point trying to be "the Young Jeezy of comics" (it makes sense to me)...
- The title lettering is ripped off from the credits font in the movie "Drive", a poster for which hangs right above my drawing table.
- In a panel at SPX this year, Sammy Harkham really hammered in the importance of designing fleshed-out room interiors -- like, ones as visually interesting as your characters. After doing a whole graphic novel that basically takes place in a white box, it's a fun challenge to try and work with. I'm not there yet, but it's in progress.
- This comic, among others, will appear in the first issue of TRAP: The Magazine About Drugs, hopefully out sometime next January. For more snippets of that book, as well as a bunch of art I don't post here, follow my tumblr. Laterz.